M. A. Silva offers nine natural cork grades ranging from near visually perfect for ultra-premium wines through value priced corks intended for high-volume labels.
Colmated Natural Cork
A challenge for some winemakers is achieving a specific price point while maintaining the attractiveness of a natural cork closure. Colmated corks allow wineries to take advantage of the consumer preference for natural cork, while reaching lower price points competitive with synthetic stoppers and screw caps. "Colmate" means to fill or cover. For colmated corks, we use fine granular cork to fill voids and approve the appearance of a lower grade natural cork body. See how we make Colmated Corks.
Natural wine corks are preferred for all types of wine, aging periods and bottle formats. No other natural product offers this combination of visual appeal, neutrality and consistent sealing qualities.
Sizes, Grades and washes
Natural corks are offered in multiple standard lengths, visual grades and multiple washes. Custom sizes are also available on request.
- Length: Nominal ± 1.0 mm
- Diameter: Nominal ± 0.5 mm
- Ovalisation: <1.0mm
- Moisture: 4%-7% moisture content
- Dimensional Recovery: >96%
- Density: Nominal ± 40 Kg/m3
- Resistance to boiling water: No disintegration
- Extraction Force: 15 daN–45 daN (coated corks)
- Sealing Ability: No leakage at 1.2 bar
- Capillarity: <1 mm
- Use before: 6 months
- Storage humidity: 40% - 70% RH, non-condensing
- Storage temperature: 15ºC - 20ºC, 59ºF - 68ºF
- Location: Store in a clean, well ventilated, odourless place away from chlorine products.
Technical Product Sheet - Naturals
Technical Product Sheet - Colmated